Thursday, January 31, 2013

For the Year's Kickstarter...

I've been meaning to write a blog since the first of January but I haven't been able to think of a good topic. Lately, I've been wanting to write about hopefully, something more insightful.

First off, I just opened up an online shop with the same name as my blog. Yay for me~ (If you click, I know, I know, it's not really the best but anyway, forgive me for my low graphics and HTML prowess.)

Cara Main Website
The first thing I uploaded there was my friend's cosmetic line Cara. (She acquired exclusive distributorship this Oct. 2012). Just a side note, type Cara on search engines & you'll get many brands with the same name. I tried searching it online & nothing that I wanted to see actually matches up. Cara Cosmetics usually pops up in search engines as an American brand. Looking into it a bit more, their main page is actually called http://carecara.com. Unfortunately, for now, the English site is kinda sparse that's why I decided to look for more info about the company itself.

Now to bore you in great detail, here's some interesting stuff ;) Well, to start off Cara is part of SK Group of Companies. Right now, they're the third largest cheabol (a.k.a. conglomerate) in South Korea. They are mostly known for their telecommunication holdings, among others. This video is one ad about a cellphone from SK.



Their cosmetics part is under some umbrella branch so in some countries, the name of the brand is SK Cara. Under that are some umbrella brands such as The Face Shop*. Side note here (^.^), some reviews were not really great about The Face Shop. I was a little surprised to find out that in America it was a little bit pricey for some. Note, however, that for Koreans, local Korean cosmetics like Skinfood or Faceshop is like Ever Bilena or Careline here in the Philippines (basically speaking, it's a local brand, not imported & relatively cheap).

Now, Cara on the other hand, as my distributor friend claims, has HIGHER natural ingredients than The Face Shop and Skinfood. Can you believe that? HIGHER!! The down side, on the other hand, is that pigmentation is not as great as, say, Nyx? It's around the same quality range as La Neige which I think justifies itself. 

Just to pull up my friend's leg though, (which I believe is blushing right now), AND NO... for everyone's sake, she did not pay me to do this. I just wrote this because I like the marketing concept of the whole thing. 

I'd say she picked a very good brand. Why? Mostly because it's not as popular. It relies on word of mouth to market itself. Cara doesn't usually do radio or TV commercials in Korea, as what is the trend there, in order to save consumers the expense of their product. In effect it's not as well known as some other local cosmetic brands. Also, it decided to be more pro-active in exporting itself to find bigger markets. At present, it's being sold to 16 countries (Philippines being the 17th, Canada, Portugal, Spain, China, etc...) & has been selling abroad for 10 years.  It wants to be more consumer friendly for the price of it's quality.

One thing to note though, make-up is really not about what looks great on other people. It's really about trying on the product for yourself. Truth is, I can't really recommend it to everyone because I'm not sure how the make-up matches with every skin. For example, my friend, Monique, has really dry skin so all she does is wash her face with water. I on the other hand, just do what my dermatologist recommends me. Hahaha.. I had to take medication & now I have clearer skin.

As an ender, one can say this: the more beautiful you become inside, the better you look on the outside. That, a rephrased version, based on  a true and tested adage of my dear Teacher.


Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment