Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Grandma Peanut Butters

I love food! Really, it's so amazing how the mouth just takes in that first bite and those blissful feelings of happiness come to me. That is, if I find it appealing!

Being a young old-minded person that I am, I'm crazily obsessed about looking for more natural products. A lot of people don't really seem to care if there's too much MSG, food coloring, preservatives and artificial flavoring thrown into what we put in our mouths since they come out anyway... But, well, they do have their consequences. Perhaps not now, but, maybe years after when we've got one leg amputated because of diabetes or something like that, maybe then we'd think things through and say, "Hmm... I think I shouldn't have eaten that too much, that one too & well, I guess that one also..."

I used to think that peanut butters that were oily were bad. I mean, in my house, we put tissue papers in pork-chops to get rid of the oil. I talked to one of my friends who made homemade peanut butters that finally confirmed that natural peanut butters in the market do no have the same consistency as theirs. Which means one thing, dum-dum-dum... Yes, we have to take out some of the oil before we eat it. For those who don't mind the oil, trick here is to mix it then place it in the fridge to stop the oil from settling on top.

Anyway, going to the real focus of the story, I'd just like to give the limelight to my two most favorite peanut butters as of this moment.


1) Lily's Peanut Butter


Ingredients: Peanuts, Cane Sugar & Iodized Salt. 

Price is also relatively affordable for Filipinos since it's a local product. This can be seen in Filipino stores in the United States, Europe, Japan, China, Hongkong, UAE and more!



2) Laura Scudder's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter

Ingredients: Peanuts, Salt (1% or less).

I guess this one's a little expensive since it's imported. My dad bought it from S&R because it was on sale. Nevertheless, it says in Wikipedia that the owner "[A]t one point, [...] turned down a $9 million offer for the company because the buyer wouldn't guarantee her employees' jobs. In 1957 she finally accepted a $6 million offer from a buyer who guaranteed job security for her workforce."  Unfortunately, the owner of the company is already gone (a.k.a. she has passed away). As for how the story went on, it's still open ended!

I do hope that there will be more "inspiring" entrepreneurs that lead the generation~ No I'm off to grab a bite of peanut butter sandwich!

Image Source: 
Lily's Peanut Butter
* Laura Scudder's Peanut Butter

Source:
Laura Scudder's and Lily's official websites.

Erratum:
Sept. 17, 2013: Updated the third paragraph with information regarding peanut butter's consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment